Wednesday, November 3, 2021

A Learning Journey About Bees

 A Learning Journey About Bees

Did you know that there are over 20,000 species of bees? Everyone recognizes the honeybee, but would you be able to identify any other bees if you saw them? 

 I couldn’t identify anything but the honey and bumble bee until I did some research on bees while designing an outdoor classroom for an elementary school. A whole new, amazing world was revealed to me. I learned that having so many different species of bees is vital to our environment and food sources and that they are in danger of becoming extinct. I became interested in conserving them and I wanted others to feel the same way; especially children because their future depends on it.

 I decided to share information with the elementary school children about how to identify some of the different bee species. I came up with a simple guessing game for them so that they’d have fun while learning about bees. Just a photograph of each type of bee with the prompt: “Can You See If I’m A Bee?” started their learning journey. It was so popular that I took it a step further by writing a rhyming book that shares the same title.

Join me in learning how to identify bees and teaching children more about them!



                                                              Hello! I'm a Sweat Bee!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment