Sunday, November 14, 2021

Read and Rhyme!

 Why it is Time to Read and Rhyme!

 

Now a classic fable, Dr. Seuss's "Green Eggs and Ham" was my childhood favorite. Why? Because it was silly, it rhymed, and my dad used to make funny faces whenever he read it to me. The rhyming cadence of the book made it easier for him to alter the rhythm in his voice; it didn't slip into a monotonous one as it did with the boring "Dick and Jane" books.

 

I started to make up my rhymes just for fun and jot them down in my stories as I was learning to write. When I became a teenager, I immediately developed a love of poetry. As an adult, I'd make my kids laugh (or roll their eyes) as I spoke to them in rhymes. I read all of Dr. Seuss's books to them too. 

 

Today's research shows that Dr. Seuss' books served as a gateway to the phonics-based approach to learning how to read. Rhyme is essential for teaching children to read the structures and patterns of both spoken and written language. It also prepares them to make predictions while learning words, giving them crucial decoding skills.

 

Besides, it is fun to read a rhyming book, so I like to write children's books that rhyme. Children should enjoy learning, and they will experience how fun rhyming books are, whether they are read to by you or read it themselves. So, create delightful memories while building your child's self-expression confidence to read. You'll discover teaching children to rhyme is anything but a waste of time! 


Below: A sneak peek at the first page of my rhyming children's book: "Can You See If I'm A Bee?"



No comments:

Post a Comment